A Sunday Drive to a major vacation (anything over 7 days in my book) all require a bit of planning and forethought, even whilst winging it. Why? Well, no one particularly cares for being caught “with their pants down”.
Thus, here are a few tips that I think are helpful and I use them myself.
- Have at least a general idea of where you are going.
- Make sure you have adequate fuel in your vehicle/taxi fare/bus passes on hand
- A bag/backpack, even if left in your vehicle, is a great way to keep stuff together
- Keeping at least one cell phone with “directions” capable app on it or a paper map is helpful, we all need directions from time to time.
- Comfortable footwear, with a spare set of socks
- Keep a little extra of cash on hand for an impromptu cup of coffee or other last-minute need. We all need a relaxing break and sometimes that need sneaks up on us. Why cash? Sometimes after hours, vending machines are all that are available.
- Keep a bottled beverage with you (and maybe a little snack, like nuts or something) or at least accessible.
- Keep a reliable person’s phone number handy, in case you break down or need a pick-up.
- Enjoy yourself and take all the photos you desire!
- If you are taking a pet with you, remember to grab a leash and snacks/treats for the pet too and a water bottle and dish!